Did you know that many of our historical inhabitants are volunteers? They are indispensable! With great enthusiasm and passion they show what past life was like: whether it’s the age of the Vikings or the age of the Romans. They do so with their friends, with their family or with our other volunteers. And best of all: we are always looking for new volunteers to bring history to life!
Do you have a passion for history, do you practice a historical craft or instrument, are you a great actor or are you simply looking for a unique volunteer job? And would you like to take visitors on a trip through time with stories? Then volunteering at the preHistorisch Dorp is definitely something for you! As a historical reenactor, you will live like, for example, a Stone Age hunter or medieval craftsman (or woman), dressed completely in appropriate attire, and give our visitors a day to remember.
Even though history plays a large part in our museum, you certainly don’t have to know all history books by heart. First and foremost, it’s important that you like to warm our visitors to history and that you have an open, hospitable attitude. And in return, you will meet a merry bunch of very sociable, driven, and warm fellow villagers!
The preHistorisch Dorp
The preHistorisch Dorp is the open-air museum in the province of Noord-Brabant. A kid-friendly museum where visitors of all ages are actively reliving past daily life. Visitors can travel through time and experience six historical time periods through living history, from early prehistoric times until the late Middle Ages. The museum has well over 70,000 visitors a year, many of which are families with children. Besides 11 regular employees and about 40 seasonal employees, more than 180 volunteers help out at the preHistorisch Dorp.
Will you be our new inhabitant?
What you can do
- Portray past daily life in costume
- Practice a craft, like pottery, forging or weaving
- Grippingly tell people about history
- Answer visitors’ questions
What you bring to the table
- An affinity with history, crafts, or theatre
- At least 18 years of life experience
- Good communication skills, an open and customer-oriented attitude
- A good command of the English language and preferably Dutch too
What you get in return
- A fun volunteer job with driven colleagues
- A unique working atmosphere in a historical setting, beautifully located in the green zone Genneper Parken
- Guidance to your ideal spot and activity in the museum
- Three parties with other employees and volunteers every year
- Free entrance for yourself, your partner, and your children
- Historical outfits
You’re available at least 1 day each month. We’re mostly looking for volunteers who can be here during the weekends and school holidays. We will determine together how often, when, and where you work.
How to apply
Does this sound good? Then please fill out the registration form and let us know why you want to volunteer at the preHistorisch Dorp. We look forward to hearing from you!
How to register for a try-out day
We like to welcome new historical reenactors on our try-out days for volunteers. The next one will be on Saturday 6 April 2024. If you don’t have time then, you can also join us on Saturday 6 July or Saturday 31 August. Feel free to register for a try-out day without obligation by sending an email to Lisanne Staals at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you then.